Actor Chris Hemsworth, best known for playing Thor in the Marvel movies, has decided to slow his acting career down since he found out that he has a predisposition to Alzheimer’s Disease. The news was revealed to Hemsworth in an episode of his new Disney+ docuseries Limitless, where he found out that his DNA contains two copies of the APOE4 gene, making his chance of developing the progressive neurologic disorder eight to 10 times higher than the average person's.

Hemsworth told Vanity Fair that the information made him want to take more time off from work to be present with his family.

"It really triggered something in me to want to take some time off," he said, adding that he's still in the midst of fulfilling work obligations he's contracted to do. "Now when I finish this tour this week, I'm going home and I'm going to have a good chunk of time off and just simplify. Be with the kids, be with my wife."

He went on to add that filming an episode of Limitless about death made him realize he's "not ready to go yet." Hemsworth and his wife, Elsa Pataky, share three children: 10-year-old India and 8-year-old twins Sasha and Tristan.

Hemsworth went on to say:

"Then you start talking about kids and family and going, 'Oh my God, they're getting older, they're growing up and I keep slapping another movie on top of another movie.’ Before you know it, they're 18 and they've moved out of house, and I missed the window."

He also said he's become more comfortable turning down projects and is taking "a more curated approach" to his job selection.

"If something's going to pull me away from my family and my kids, it's got to be a positive, constructive, collaborative experience," he said, adding, "I'm not talking about retiring by any means."

This is really how anyone with a family should approach their career. Hemsworth is in a unique position to be able to slow down and reevaluate what’s important moving forward. I hope he stays well, and I hope the cure for Alzheimer’s is on the horizon.

via: USA Today


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post