M. Night Shyamalan’s latest thriller, Knock at the Cabin is less than two months from its release, and fans are wondering what twists and turns we can expect from this new story. The star-studded cast includes Dave Bautista (DuneGuardians of the Galaxy franchise), Jonathan Groff (HamiltonMindhunter), Ben Aldridge (PennyworthFleabag), Nikki Amuka-Bird (PersuasionOld), Kristen Cui, Abby Quinn (Little WomenLandline) and Rupert Grint (ServantHarry Potter franchise), and from what the director has said, Bautista steals the show and delivers a performance of a lifetime.

In a recent interview with ComicBook, Shyamalan was asked specifically how Dave Bautista did in the role, one of his most serious since becoming an actor, after having had a professional wrestling career. The director shared:

"Bautista is – well I was at a dinner with some friends, and they were like 'How is Dave Bautista? The wrestler, right? That's crazy! How was that?' And I was like 'He gave one of the best performances of the year in that movie.' And they were like 'Hahaha!' And I was like, 'Nah... there's no joke, I'm just giving you the straight on it. This dude brought it.' Right guy. Right role. Right moment in his life," Shymalan explained to ComicBook's Chris Killian, adding that "He just did what you hope all actors will do for you, which is he just was completely vulnerable, completely put himself in my hands, and said 'I trust you.' And because of that, I felt. so much need to bring out the beauty in who he is as a human being. Just a lovely moment."

Since we know very little about the movie as a whole going into it, it is cool to hear this. Bautista was just recently talking to GQ about his role, and the unique pressure that came with this new style, saying:

“It’s by far the most I’ve ever spoken in a film. Just huge pages of monologues. We were shooting on film, which is very expensive. And we were shooting with one camera, so you don’t have the luxury of edits. It’s your only opportunity — you need a perfect take. It’s a lot of pressure. I want to remember my dialogue, but not at the expense of losing the emotion of the scene.” 

He also talked about how badly he wants to be a good, respected actor, and doesn’t care about the fame aspect of his professional acting career:

“Honestly, I could give a f**k [about being a movie star]. I don’t live a great big glamorous life. I live here in Tampa. I don’t care about the spotlight, I don’t care about fame. I just want to be a better actor. I want respect from my peers. I don’t need accolades — I really don’t, man. It’s about the experience, about knowing that I accomplished something.” 

It sounds like he is going to get that respect after this performance. I can’t wait to check it out. Knock at the Cabin will be released in theatres on February 3rd.


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post